¼ lb Scallops
1.5 TBSP Canola, Soy, or Vegetable Oil
Mayonaisse (Recommend Kewpie)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix mayonnaise and sriracha to make spicy mayo. Adjust to personal spice preference.
- Remove the “side muscles” from the scallops. These are small, tough, crescent-shaped pieces of the scallop that you can remove with your hands. Many chefs throw them away, but they are edible, and I enjoy the tougher texture. Try sautéing them in garlic for a pasta dish, or let me know if you think of any cool ideas for them!
- Lay the scallops on a flat plate, cutting board, etc. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt over them, then flip them over and repeat.
- Heat an oven safe, ideally non-stick pan, to medium heat. Add oil to the pan, then, using tongs or chopsticks, add scallops to the oil- be careful as the oil will splash when the scallops are added. Sear for 20 seconds, then flip them over and insert the pan into the oven. Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the scallops from the oven and plate. Drizzle with Spicy mayo (if you have a squirt bottle you can make pretty zig-zags. If you don’t have a squirt bottle, cut off the corner of a zip lock bag and you can still make pretty zig-zags.) Then top with panko